Monday, May 25, 2009

"Nine is an odd number"



That's what I heard from behind my back a little while ago. "Mommy, nine is an odd number," said a very matter of fact voice. I froze for a minute, then spun around just to make sure I wasn't hearing things. Because it couldn't have been that my six year old had just spoken those words. My six year old who has struggled so much with math this year. The child who spent two long months last winter trying to recognize the number 13. But there she was, looking up at me expectantly.

"Um, how did you know that?"

"Look." She points to the word "Babies-R-Us" in the newspaper on the table. "I counted off two-by-two-by-two-by-two, and there was one left over. And ten is an even number. And six plus six is twelve."

There just might be ice cream for dessert tonight.

1 comment:

  1. That is great. I love the way kids learn. I look forward to being amazed by my own in the next year.

    ReplyDelete