Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti

I have been very, very busy for the last few days. So busy that I did not take the time to post anything about the disaster in Haiti. But I realized that I really needed to stop and write this. I've been reading The Hole in our Gospel over the last weeks (I'll post more about the book another time), and feeling my heart challenged by considering what God really does expect of us. This is ridiculous, really, in how small of an effort it is, but I couldn't go on with this day without taking the time to say that we all need to help. We need to pray, and we need to give. Sadly, conditions in Haiti (and and many other areas of the world) were devastating long before this earthquake, but it's so easy for us to overlook as we move through our daily lives untouched by it. But in the face of such a catastrophic situation, we all stop for a least a moment and really pay attention. Yes, these are God's children. He loves them. And yes, He has asked us to take care of them. Jesus had a lot to say about what God expects of us. He asks us for everything. He wants us to change the world. Here's a good place to start.

http://www.worldvision.org/

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/

And click here for a story from Haiti that is good news; some of the orphans there are going home.

"Whoever heard me spoke well of me,
and those who saw me commended me,
because I rescued the poor who cried for help,
and the fatherless who had none to assist him.
The man who was dying blessed me;
I made the widow's heart sing.
I put on righteousness as my clothing;
justice was my robe and my turban.
I was eyes to the blind
and feet to the lame.
I was a father to the needy;
I took up the case of the stranger.
I broke the fangs of the wicked
and snatched the victims from their teeth."
-Job 29:11-17


Christ has no body on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which
Christ's compassion for the world is to look out;
yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good;
and yours are the hands with which he is to bless us now.
-Saint Teresa of Avila


"Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God." -Bob Pierce (founder of World Vision)

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    Thanks for commenting on our blog! I am so excited for you all to be adopting a boy from Ethiopia! It's a wild ride, isn't it? I'd love to be able to meet you and Sara sometime and share this rode with others going through it. Blessings on you through this adoption!

    Katie :)

    ReplyDelete